CALL FOR APPLICATIONS:
Engage Toronto Site Research Nurse
HIV Prevention Lab, Ryerson University
Under the supervision of the Engage Toronto Principal Investigators and Medical Supervisor, the research nurse is responsible for conducting testing for HIV and other sexually transmitted and blood borne infections (STBBIs) among gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men (gbMSM) research participants of this research project.
Description of the Research Project:
The Engage cross-sectional study will investigate the sexual health of gbMSM, including trans men, in Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal. This study involves both a self-report questionnaire and biological testing for HIV and other STBBIs. We will recruit 720 participants for the Toronto site.
- Carry out biological testing according to the research protocol (pre- and post-test counselling; venipuncture; processing and sending blood, urine, and throat and rectal swab samples to external laboratories for testing; conducting HIV rapid tests)
- Communicate test results to participants, providing support with partner notification
- Ensure that data collection is in line with standard operating procedures and biosafety standards
- Record test results in the study database in a timely and accurate manner
- Provide follow-up support for study participants as needed, including harm reduction education, counseling and support from a nursing perspective on issues relating to STI and HIV
- Link participants to care (e.g., for treatment of STBBIs, for recent HIV seroconverters)
- Act as participant advocate to protect and promote participants’ rights to autonomy, respect, privacy, dignity, and access to information
- Collaborate, consult and provide clinical support to the participants’ primary care physicians to ensure appropriate two-way communication between study staff and those providing clinical care for study participants
- Develop linkages/partnerships with other facilities, agencies, and support groups
- Conduct quality control procedures for rapid HIV tests
- Initiate and participate in team meetings with study investigators, other study staff and community liaisons for identification and management of concerns regarding study implementation and coordination, emergent issues, and discussion of on-going follow-up of clinical care to ensure a coordinated approach.
- Follow-up with Toronto Public Health regarding positive test results for reportable infections
- Assist with ordering medical supplies and keeping inventory
- Complete other related tasks as assigned
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Experience conducting HIV point-of-care tests, pre- and post-test counselling, and sexual health counselling with gbMSM, including trans men
- Experience working in a community health setting preferred
- Experience working in an interdisciplinary team preferred
This is a part-time position (up to 15 hours per week) for 1 year. The rate of pay is $35 per hour.
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. We thank all applicants, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Ryerson University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our faculty, staff and its scholarship including, but not limited to, women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply but applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.