Degree in Progress
PhD Clinical Psychology
2015 MA Clinical Psychology, Ryerson University
2012 BA (Honours) Psychology, Concordia University
Marie’s research interests are specifically focused on understanding sexual and reproductive health. Her doctoral dissertation is examining whether gay men with negative automatic thoughts and higher degrees of unrealistic sexual expectations will experience more erectile dysfunction. This is the first study of its kind to evaluate this relationship, and will incorporate both self-report and physiological measures of erectile dysfunction (i.e., thermal imaging). Her Master’s thesis explored various pathways leading from childhood sexual abuse to adult erectile dysfunction in gay and bisexual men. Specifically, it examined the mediating roles of substance use, coping, and emotion regulation in this relationship.
Marie is interested in cognitive-behavioural interventions in the treatment of mood and anxiety disorders. She is also interested in conducting interventions for sexual dysfunctions and couple distress. By completing practica in both general and medical settings, Marie has had the opportunity to conduct comprehensive diagnostic assessments, which have incorporated structured clinical interviews, personality assessments, and cognitive/executive functioning assessments. Through these experiences, she has developed the necessary skills to competently score and interpret the above-mentioned psychological tests, rule out differential diagnoses, and communicate diagnoses to clients, other health professionals, and within a written psychological report. In addition, she has gained skills in delivering individual evidence-based treatment to adults in outpatient hospital settings with mood, anxiety, trauma-related disorders, and obsessive-compulsive disorders. This individual treatment experience has included elements of CBT, mindfulness, motivational interviewing, and emotion regulation strategies. Marie has also co-facilitated numerous CBT group therapy programs, including treatment for depression, social anxiety disorder, panic disorder, and two transdiagnostic groups for perinatal anxiety and depression.
2017 – 2018 : Engage Boys and Men’s Team Grant – Research Training Award
2016 – 2017: Ontario Graduate Scholarship
2016 – 2017 : Engage Boys and Men’s Team Grant – Research Training Award
2015 – 2016: Engage Boys and Men’s Team Grant – Research Training Award
2014 – 2015: Canadian Institutes of Health Research – Master’s Award
2014 – 2015: Fonds de Recherche Société et Culture– Master’s Award, Declined
2013 – 2014: Fonds de Recherche Société et Culture– Master’s Award
- Smith, N. G., Hart, T. A., Moody, C., Willis, A. C., Faaborg-Andersen, M., Blais, M., & Adam, B. (2015). Project PRIDE: A Cognitive-Behavioral Group Intervention to Reduce HIV Risk Behaviors Among Young Gay and Bisexual Men. Cognitive Behavioral Practice. doi:10.1016/j.cbpra.2015.08.006
- Lahaie, M. A., Amsel, R., Khalife, S., Boyer, S., Faaborg-Andersen, M., & Binik, Y.M. (2015). Can fear, pain, and muscle tension discriminate vaginismus from dyspareunia/PVD? Implications for the new DSM-5 category of genito-pelvic pain/penetration disorder. Archives of Sexual Behaviour, 44, 1537-1550. doi:10.1007/s10508-014-0430-z
- Binik, Y. M., Faaborg-Andersen, M.,& Lahaie, M. A. (2013). Dyspareunia and vaginismus. In R.F. Schmidt & W.D. Willis, (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Pain (pp. 1090 – 1096). Heidelberg, Germany: Springer-Verlag. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-28753-4_1238
- Kidwai, A., Noor, S. W., Faaborg-Andersen, M., Brennan, D. J., George, C., Hart, T. A., & Newman, P. A. (November, 2017). The Curious Case of Community: How Identification and Involvement Impact Psychological Distress Among Gay and Bisexual Men of Colour. Poster to be presented at the meeting of the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies, San Diego, CA.
- Vernon, R.G., Noor, S.W., Faaborg-Andersen, M., Kidwai, A., Brennan, D., Gardner, S., & Hart, T. A. (April, 2017). Self-compassion mediates the link between childhood trauma and syndemic HIV risk factor in gay and bisexual men. Poster presented at Canadian Association for HIV Research, Montreal, QC.
- Faaborg-Andersen, M., Noor, S. W., Tulloch, T. G., Kidwai, A., Adam, B., Brennan, D., Gardner, S., & Hart, T. A. (June, 2016). Childhood sexual abuse, coping strategies, and risky sex among men who have sex with men. Poster presented at the meeting of the International Academy of Sex Research, Malmö, Sweden.
- Faaborg-Andersen, M. & Kidwai, A.(May, 2016). Self-compassion and depressive symptomatology among gay, and bisexual men: A mediational framework. Talk presented at the Pre-CAHR Engage Team Research Meeting, Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- Faaborg-Andersen, M., Stratton, N., & Hart, T. A. (October, 2015). Erectile dysfunction, Childhood emotional abuse, and coping strategies in gay men: A mediational framework. Poster presented at the Canadian Sex Research Forum, Kelowna, BC. (Winner of Best Poster Award).
- Faaborg-Andersen, M., Stratton, N., Schwartz, J. N., Hart, T. A., Binik, Y. M., Kukkonen, T. M. (August, 2015). Sexual arousal in older adults: An exploratory study using thermography. Poster presented at the meeting of the International Academy of Sex Research, Toronto, ON.
- Stratton, N., Faaborg-Andersen, M., Kukkonen, T. M., Hart, T. A., Binik, Y. M., & Carrier, S. (August, 2015). A pilot study comparing the use of thermography and penile Doppler ultrasound in the assessment of erectile dysfunction. Poster presented at the meeting of the International Academy of Sex Research, Toronto, ON.
- Stratton, N, Faaborg-Andersen, M., Tulloch, T. G., & Hart, T. A. (2015, March). Integrated cognitive behavioral therapy for social anxiety and sexual communication for gay men: A pilot study. Poster presented at the meeting of the Society for Sex Therapy and Research, Boston, MA.
- Faaborg-Andersen, M., Vernon, J. R. G., & Hart, T.A. (2014, November). Erectile functioning, social support, and self-esteem in gay men: A mediational framework. Poster presented at the Association of Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies Conference, Philadelphia, USA.
- Faaborg-Andersen, M., Hart, T. A., Brennan D. J., & Gardner, S. (2014, June). Sexual esteem, depression, and erectile dysfunction among gay and bisexual men. Poster presented at the International Academy of Sex Research’s 40th Annual Meeting, Dubrovnik, Croatia.
- Faaborg-Andersen, M., Wrosch, C., & Hortop, G. E. (2013, June). The effects of autonomous motivation towards the relationship on well-being and health in romantic couples. Poster presented at the Canadian Psychological Association’s 74th Annual Convention. Québec City, QC.
- Faaborg-Andersen, M., Wrosch., C., & Hortop, G. E. (2012, April). The influence of autonomous motivation on well-being and health in romantic couples. Talk presented at the Psychology Undergraduate Research Expo, Montreal, QC.
- Faaborg-Andersen, M., Wrosch., C., & Hortop, G. E. (2012, March). The influence of autonomous motivation towards relationships, well-being, and relationship satisfaction. Poster presented at the Concordia University Arts and Science Undergraduate Research Day, Montreal, QC.