We are hiring two part-time Engage Toronto Research Associates (12-18 hours per week; $20 per hour + 4% vacation pay) for 1 year with the possibility of renewal for 6 months (or longer pending research funding).
To apply, please email Rick Rodrigues (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Julia Vernon (email@example.com) your application, including a cover letter and CV/resume. Applicants offered an interview are asked to provide names and contact information for two references. This information may be submitted with the application or at the interview.
The deadline for receipt of applications is December 17th, 2017.
We thank all applicants, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
1.0 JOB SUMMARY
Working under the Nominated Principal Investigator (Dr. Hart), and the Engage Toronto Research Manager (Ricky Rodrigues), part-time Research Associates assist with the data collection and implementation of the Toronto site of a national cross-sectional study of HIV and STI prevalence and recent infection among gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men. This study is funded by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, the Canadian Foundation for AIDS Research, and the Ontario HIV Treatment Network. The study has biomedical, questionnaire, and qualitative interview components.
- Conducts day to day operations of the study office in the HIV Prevention Lab at Ryerson University, including staffing the study office, working with other study staff, and interacting with study participants
- Conducts participant recruitment and data collection for the questionnaire and interview parts of the study
- Administers the study according to research protocol and ensures study records, including medical results, are maintained properly
- Completes training and implements procedures in collecting, processing, handling and shipping of medical samples, including throat and rectal swabs, urine samples, and blood specimens
- Schedules study personnel and participants
- Orders medical and other supplies and assures supplies are available as needed
- Serves as liaison with research investigators and collaborators
- Trains volunteer research assistants and other staff when necessary
- Performs other study and administrative duties as required
- Lab hours include evening and weekend times
3.1 Education, Training and Experience
- At minimum, completion of a Bachelor’s degree in health sciences, health administration, psychology, or related disciplines
- Two years of related professional experience in a healthcare, social service, or health research setting
- Data collection experience, preferably using electronic questionnaire administration
- Knowledge and/or experience regarding issues and concerns of gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men
3.2 Skills and Abilities
- Some knowledge of epidemiology, public health, psychology, health services, or related fields
- Knowledge of research design and methodology
- Demonstrated ability to effectively handle confidential matters and materials
- Proficiency and experience using Microsoft Office software
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to communicate clearly and effectively in person and by telephone; tact, diplomacy, and flexibility in dealing with research subjects, research staff, and faculty investigators
- Ability to learn and use training in procedures, including handling and processing of blood samples that are collected by the study nurse (training will be provided)
- Deadline and detail oriented
- Ability to follow directions reliably